The Avro Vulcan was one of the ‘V-bombers’, flown by the Royal Air Force during the 1950s and 1960s as part of its nuclear deterrence force against the USSR. They remained in service until the mid 1980s.
The Vulcan was designed as a high speed, high altitude bomber capable of penetrating Russian airspace.
Design began in 1947 and the first prototype flew on 30 August 1952.
The first B.1 version began entering service in 1956 and the later B.2 version began flying operationally in 1960.
They remained Britain’s frontline nuclear bomber until the deterrence role was given to the missile armed submarines of the Royal Navy from 1970.
After that Vulcans were then given other roles but were withdrawn from service in March 1984, having flown several long range missions during the Falklands War.
This model represents a Vulcan B.2 of 230 OCU, RAF in 1963.
Anigrand 1/144 kit completed by Leigh Edmonds May 2016.