The Lightning was a high performance supersonic interceptor designed to defend Britain against nuclear armed bombers. They began entering service in 1960 and were phased out between 1974 and June 1988.
No 5 Squadron was formed in 1913 and became a fighter squadron during World War II.
In October 1965 it was reformed at RAF Binbrook, the first unit to fly Lightning F.6s. For the following twenty-two years the squadron continued to operate the same aircraft type from the same base.
It did, however, make long range deployments to the middle east and to Singapore in 1969.
From 1970 the squadron also flew the lighter and more nimble Lightning F.1As and F.3s in air combat training and at airshows.
The last 5 Squadron Lightning F.6 flights occurred in November 1987.
This model represents Lightning F.6 XS898 of 5 Squadron, RAF during 1974.
Trumpeter 1/72 kit with Xtradecal decals completed by Leigh Edmonds in January 2009.