The Lightning was a high performance supersonic interceptor designed to defend Britain against nuclear armed bombers. They began entering service in 1960 and were phased out between 1974 and June 1988.
No 11 Squadron was first formed in 1915. In 1967 it was reformed at RAF Leuchars in Scotland to fly the Lightning F.6 on long patrols to the north where they regularly intercepted Soviet Bear, Bison and Badger bombers entering the British air defence zone.
When the RAF began operating the long range Phantom interceptors from Leuchars in 1972, 11 Squadron moved to RAF Binbrook, joining 5 Squadron in a partnership there that lasted sixteen years.
By 1988, 11 Squadron was the last RAF unit still flying Lightnings and it made its final flight on 30 June 1988.
This model represents Lightning F.6 XS903 of 11 Squadron, RAF during 1987.
Trumpeter 1/72 kit with Xtradecal decals completed by Leigh Edmonds in February 2008.