The Curtiss Kittyhawk IV was the British name given to the Curtiss P-40N which was the final version of the P-40. Modifications included weight reduction, a more powerful engine and a revised cockpit canopy to improve pilot visibility. Deliveries began in 1944 and over 5,200 were manufactured. They were employed by many allied air forces in the later stages of the war.
The P-40N/Kittyhawk IV was used by the United States Army Air Force, Brazil, Canada, China, the Netherlands, New Zealand, which received 172, the Soviet Union, South Africa and the United Kingdom.
Towards the end of the war many P-40Ns were also used as advanced training aircraft.
The Royal Australian Air Force received a total of 468 aircraft.
Two squadrons flew in Italy under the control of the RAF and ten squadrons of Kittyhawk IVs flew in the South West Pacific Area. They were phased out from mid 1945 as P-51s became available.
This model represents the Curtiss Kittyhawk IV flown by G C Atherton, 80 Squadron, RAAF in New Guinea in 1945.
Academy 1:72 kit completed by Steve Pulbrook in 2011.