The light-weight Douglas A-4 was one of the most important ship-borne attack aeroplanes of the second half of the 20th Century. Twenty served with the Royal Australian Navy, flying from the HMAS Melbourne.
The Douglas A-4 was designed specifically for aircraft carrier operations, fitting the greatest possible lifting power and performance into the smallest possible airframe.
The prototype flew for the first time in June 1954. A-4s went on to serve with many air forces and some are still in service.
Australia ordered twenty A-4s for its Fleet Air Arm in October 1965.
They served with two squadrons, one land-based and the other, 805 Squadron, flying from the HMAS Melbourne.
They continued in service until June 1983 and the ten remaining A-4s were sold to New Zealand in 1984
This model represents an A-4G of 805 Squadron, RAN, during the 1970s.
Esci 1:72 kit with Modecals decals. Completed in November 1998.