The Douglas C-124 Globemaster II was a heavy-lift cargo aeroplane developed in the late 1940s. It served with the United States Air Force during the 1950s and 1960s into the early 1970s when it was replaced by jet aircraft.
The C-124 was developed between 1947 and 1949 by Douglas as a replacement for it’s C-74 Globemaster, incorporating lessons learned during the Berlin Air Lift.
It’s chief design features were clamshell doors in the nose and a cargo elevator under the rear fuselage that made it easy to load cargo including tanks and other heavy equipment.
The first C-124 flew on 27 November 1949 and the first one was delivered in May 1950. 448 were delivered until 1955.
They served from the Korean War to the Vietnam War as long range transports and were withdrawn from service when Lockheed C-141 and C-5s began entering service in the 1970s
This model represents a C-124C in service with the Military Air Transport Service c.1964.
Anigrand 1/144 kit completed by Leigh Edmonds in August 2011.