The Ilyushin Il-40P was a jet powered close support aeroplane developed in the Soviet Union in the early 1950s. It did not enter production due to a revision of Soviet military doctrine in the mid 1950s.
The Ilyushin design bureau began planning a jet engined ground attack aircraft in 1951.
The prototype first flew on 7 March 1953 and flew well until the nose mounted guns were fired, flaming out or hiccuping the engines.
Several remedies were tried but the only permanent solution was the extension of the air intakes to the aeroplane’s nose.
Production was ordered in October 1954 but ceased in April 1956 when Soviet aviation doctrine changed from direct ground support to the use of battlefield nuclear weapons instead.
This model represents the first prototype in early 1955.
Amodel 1/72 kit completed by Leigh Edmonds in May 2011..