The Kellett YO-60 was an autogyro, a form of flying machine developed in the inter-war period. Its low speed and short take off run were useful in some roles but the development of the helicopter made autogyros obsolete.
The Kellett Autogyro Company began by building Cierva autogyros under licence in the United States in the 1930s.
The company made a number of small improvements that included different engines and enclosed cockpits.
Because of the autogyro’s ability to fly at slow speeds the US Army began experimenting with them from 1935 and had acquired ten by 1942. That year the Army ordered seven KD-1Bs with more powerful engines which were given the designation YO-60.
To almost eliminate the take off run they had a link from the engine to the rotor to power it during take off. This innovation had promise but the successful development of helicopters during the war made any further development of autogyros unnecessary.
This model represents a YO-60 in late 1942.
Anigrand 1/144 kit in December 2017.