The LaGG-3 was one of the first up-to-date fighters to join service with the Russian air forces when that country entered World War II. It’s structure was almost entirely made of wood, giving it a robust strength.
Lavochkin, Gorbunov and Gudkov began design of the LaGG-1 in 1938 but it was disappointing when flown.
An improved version with a more powerful engine and other changes, redesignated the LaGG-3, first flew on 30 March 1940.
It was used extensively in the early stages of the German invasion and proved reasonably good, primarily because its wooden structure made it robust enough to sustain a lot of combat damage.
More than 6500 were built in a number of sub-versions before it was replaced by more modern types.
This model represent a LaGG-3 in Russian service c.1942.
Red Star 1/72 kit completed by Leigh Edmonds in 1986.