The Mustang was the name given to North American P-51 fighters supplied to Britain during World War II. The combination of the American aircraft with the British Rolls Royce Merlin engine made the Mustang one of the great fighters of the war.
The Mustang III (P-51C) was the first version of the P-51 to be fitted with the Merlin engine.
They began entering service in 1943 and gave the allies an aircraft the equal of the best German aircraft.
Mustangs were used by Allied air forces in the European, North African, Italian and Pacific theatres and Mustang pilots claimed to have destroyed 4,940 enemy aircraft during the war.
This model represents the Mustang III flown by Squadron Leader Eugeniusz Horbaczewski, DSO, DSC Bar, Virtuty Military 5th & 4th, Cross of Polish Valour 3 Bars, flying with RAF Polish Squadron 315.
He was killed in action on 18 August 1944 in France whilst leading 315 Squadron in a huge aerial battle with approximately fifty to sixty Fw190’s over Beauvais Airfield.
Tamiya 1/48 kit with masking tape seat belts. It was painted in Model Master enamels including the D-Day recognition stripes and completed by Wayne in about 2000.