The Panahrd 178 was a light cavalry reconnaissance armoured car developed in France in the mid 1930s. It was used with some success during the Battle of France, then by the Germans, and remained in post-War service until 1964.
Development of this cavalry light armoured car began in 1931 and the first prototype was available for testing in early 1934.
The first vehicles were delivered in early 1937 and 219 had delivered by the beginning of World War II.
They were rugged and dependable, capable of defeating opposing German armoured cars and performed relatively well during the Battle of France.
By the Armistice in June 1940 491 had been completed and a further 196 were then manufactured for German use.
After the war France used them again, with a new turret, until 1960 and the last ones saw service in Syria in 1964.
This model represented a Panhard 178 in service with a French Light Cavalry Diving in May 1940.
Sparrow Casting 1/72 kit made by Leigh Edmonds in May 2010.