The Panzerkampfwagen III (Panzer III) was designed in the mid 1930s to serve as Germany’s primary anti-tank tank. However, the rapid development in tanks during World War II had made it obsolete by 1943.
Development of the Panzer III began in 1934 and the first version, Ausf A, came off the assembly line in May 1937.
The first mass produced version, Ausf F, began production in 1939 and 435 had been produced by July 1940.
The Ausf F outclassed most of its opponents in 1939 and during the Battle of France, although it made up only a small part of German forces.
By 1941, however, it’s small main armament was incapable of penetrating the armour of new tanks and new versions with improved armament were produced.
When production ended in 1943 5774 had been manufactured.
This model represents a Panzer Ausf F serving with the 5th Panzer Division in the Balkans, c.1941.
Attack 1/72 kit completed by Leigh Edmonds in August 2010.